[Seaside] Execute jQuery script upon #onAjaxComplete?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 19:07:19 UTC 2016

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <emaringolo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > The problem, as usual, is all ajax requests (and my app is now almost
> everything with ajax).
> > I need to hook on ajax calls so that I could also re-render the
> notifications components as
> > there could have been new notifications since the last rendering.
>
> > html
> > document
> > addLoadScript: (html jQuery document
> >                      onAjaxComplete: (
> >   (html jQuery id: self  systemMessageNotifier mainDivId)  replaceWith:
> [:r |
> > self systemMessageNotifier renderContentOn: r.
> > ]
> > )).
>
> > What I don't know how to do is what I want hahhaa.
> >I would try to avoid WebSockets for the moment. I
> > thought maybe doing some jQuery polling ?
>
> I don't understand what you want to implement.

Let's say... an admin user of the app, fires a broadcast message. This is a
message object stored in the DB. All logged users, should render the active
messages on the main header of the app. Something like "server is going to
be restarted in 10 minutes". Or whatever. So what I wanted to do is that
whenever the user "uses" the app, I would check if there are notifications
and show them. With normal requests this is easy as the main messages
header is re-rendered together with the whole page.

My problem is how to re-render that component (of the main header) on
EACH/ALL ajax callbacks. Why? Because most of my app is now with ajax, none
of the ajax calls will re-render the "header" nor the component that
renders the alerts. So.. no alert is shown until I do a normal request.

So...what I don't know how to do is a generic way in which I can re-render
the messages component on each ajax callback.

> If you want to notify something, then such notification should come as
> a response of the xhr and implement the ajaxComplete function handler
> to parse the response searching for the notification you want to
> display.

The notifications comes from a query in the DB. There could be
notifications still valid and the user just entered to the app for example.

> The alternative is to include a <script> in every ajax response to
> update the notification on the client side.

And how could I do this in a generic way (not on every ajax response) ?

Thanks in advance!

> I also don't see how you using websockets would benefit you unless you
> hook the socket to an announcer.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Esteban