[Seaside] HTML templating

Tim Mackinnon tim at testit.works
Thu Jun 22 15:37:18 UTC 2017

This is an interesting thread as I’d been mulling over something similar having recently experimented off-piste with NodeJS and a static site generation library called metalsmith.io <http://metalsmith.io/>.

I bought a bootstrap template ($20) a few years ago which comes as a series of files and styles that I “moustache”’d quite easily to use with metalsmith (previously I had used it with Jekyll - but found the Ruby eco-system too awkward).

Having been to Pharo-days this year, I was inspired to check out Ecstatic (I haven’t got my head around that yet - it looks similar to metalsmith.io <http://metalsmith.io/> in concept) for the static site component of a website - however my thought is that merging this with Seaside, where you write components for more dynamic elements of your site seems like a compelling thing to do.

I think this is perhaps where this conversation could go, and the trick of course is marrying a template file concept (Ala moustache) up with code components for more dynamic parts of a site. E.g. so that you match up style names and id’s effectively (e.g. how do you safely refactor the whole thing). I think it could be possible, and quite compelling….

Alternatively - or maybe complimentary, did someone recently refer to a tool to read in html and generate Seaside code that represents the same thing? Maybe I am imagining that? Would it be useful to do that, or just use it to bootstrap the hybrid I mention above?

I’m certainly going to investigate this, in the next few months.

Tim