[Seaside] Force Reload of Javascript

jtuchel at objektfabrik.de jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Mon Sep 11 06:41:53 UTC 2017

Hi there,

this may seem like a stupid question, but it seems I am struggling with
the Browsers' cache handling of Javascript Code.

Let me start by describing what happens: I change some javascript code
in my Seaside app, deploy it onto the server and restart the image.

For many (but not all) users, the changes don't get downloaded for days.
They need to go to a page, press the Browser's reload button and from
then on they are fine. This is both good to know and bad at the same
time for several reasons:

  * some users never call and are frustrated
  * the number of support cases causes high cost

The effect shows up both for Javascript that gets served from the file
system (using rewrite rules) and for code served directly from Seaside
in the render* methods.

For the file system stuff, we have to work on the caching settings on
Apache. But I am really helpless in case of "freshly rendered"
JavaScript code. How could that even be cached by a Browser???

Any hints are welcome

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1