[Seaside] Force Reload of Javascript

Johan Brichau johan at inceptive.be
Mon Sep 11 07:45:49 UTC 2017

Hi Joachim,

I recognize the problem when dealing with loading javascript resources, but not for Seaside-rendered javascript.
I find the latter a bit strange since that gets injected in a load script or a script tag, and that cannot be cached unless your entire page is cached.

So, when referencing javascript sources external to the Seaside image, this is what we do to ensure a browser does not use a cached version: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9692665/cache-busting-via-params <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9692665/cache-busting-via-params>
In summary:
- add a query parameter to the url of the javascript resource (i.e. behind the ‘?’ character)
- use some version string in the code base as value in that query parameter such that it is different from the value in the current previous production version (using a version number is most intuitive).

Here is the implementation for that in Seaside:

updateRoot: aRoot
	…
	aRoot javascript resourceUrl: '/js-libs/jquery.dataTables.min.js' version: resourceVersion.
	…

with the implementation of resourceUrl:version: is:

WAContentElement>>resourceUrl: aString  version: versionString
	"Concatenates a version string to the resource url.
	The version string is put in the GET request's variables list and ignored by the webserver.
	Changing the version string can trigger a browser cache refresh when needed."
	self url: ((canvas absoluteUrlForResource: aString) addField: versionString)

Now, I am puzzled by the resources that are cached for generated javascript… can you share some more code on how that is included in your webpage?

cheers,
Johan