[Seaside] Glorp/Seaside experience exchange on- or offline, anybody?

jtuchel at objektfabrik.de jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Thu Sep 28 06:56:12 UTC 2017

Hi there,

since nobody at ESUG seemed to be interested in a Glorp/Seaside BOF as I
suggested, I try something new now ;-)

Glorp is a great tool for OR mapping and works very well. There is good
introductory material, even if it is hard to find. But when it comes to
real world use, there are many questions to be answered like

  * how to handle transactions, mementos, units of work and that stuff,
    especially in a multi-user environment like a Seaside based web app
  * how to map more complicated things, like polymorphic joins, embedded
    objects etc.
  * what if an image slows down gradually when a user has been working
    for hours, almsot coming to a standstill. How to find out if Glorp
    or your use of it is the problem? What can you do then?
  * Is my use of transactions correct or will I face problems

None of these are easy questions and maybe there are many possible
answers to them, But finding them on your own can be hard and take a lot
of time. It can even be a risk to your business.

There is the Glorp group, but it's not actually in heavy use and
sometimes it is hard to write down a problem in a few lines. Explaining
the whole thing sometimes would make for loooong messages that probably
nobody ever reads, esp. if the poster's english isn't brilliant.

So what I'm looking for is ways to find and meet people who also use
Glorp (or any other ORM in Smalltalk) and would be interested in
discussing stuff and maybe answer questions. Something like a Glorp
users group.

The best thing to exchange ideas is probably to meet face to face and
carry your laptop with you. So if anybody in Southern Germany, Eastern
France, Northern Switzerland would be interested in such a meeting,
please let me know and I am more than interested in setting something up.

The second best is probably some sort of online conference call. Maybe
even on a regular basis.

Please let me know if you'd be interested.

Joachim

Objektfabrik Joachim Tuchel          mailto:jtuchel at objektfabrik.de
Fliederweg 1                         http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71640 Ludwigsburg                  http://joachimtuchel.wordpress.com
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1