[Seaside] Rendering fontawesome tag..

Esteban Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 14:59:39 UTC 2019

El jue., 21 feb. 2019 a las 11:30, Joachim Tuchel
(<jtuchel at objektfabrik.de>) escribió:

> That’s kind of a harsh statement, isn’t it? I’d be interested in reasons for your (I guess) opinion.

Yeap, It might be, I'm just wanting him to save time.

But in my opinion the reasons are many:
For the web, which concerns this mailing list:
1. Seaside is bundled, but seems unmaintained
e.g. Seaside-Core references pmm.787, which seems to be from 2013
<http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Seaside/Seaside31/versions/Seaside-Core-pmm.787>

I had to manually port several libraries to make it work decently or
with modern stuff, the process for a new release isn't specified and
the way to load Seaside isn't granular

2. The previous point makes sense because their "promoted" way of
developing web apps is the AppeX framework with the SiouX http server.

For desktop:
- It uses MVC for building desktop apps, which is way cumbersome for
my taste, compared with Dolphin's MVP or Pharo's Spec (also MVP
AFAIU), VW's MVC has a lot of accidental complexity.

It has is strenghts in some industrial grade libraries (X.509/ASN.1,
and other stuff) but I've seen some of these in Pharo lately.

> VW has been a very progressive environment and I remember Cincom has been ahead of the pack in innovations in the mid 2000‘s ...

Yeap, it was. Now I think it isn't.

Esteban A. Maringolo