[Seaside] [vwnc] Web and Persistence Framework Recommendations?

Esteban Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 20:17:00 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 3:40 PM Degen, Vladimir <VDegen at cincom.com> wrote:

> Hi Esteban,
>
> First, you'll be happy to hear that we just recently updated VW Seaside to version 3.3.4.

Great! Any ETA of its availability?
(I have no rush to migrate the current code, just to know.)

> We are of course glad to hear that you consider VW "very robust to work with Seaside, with the best management of breakpoints within closures, continuations and stack management " :).

I find it surprisingly stable. To the point sometimes I forget the
save the image during a whole workday (moral hazard? :-) ).

> On to AppeX.
> The most simple thing to do in AppeX is naturally to use HTML5 and vanilla JavaScript to build an application.
> However AppeX, as a JavaScript IDE and web application hosting environment, attempts to remain agnostic as to whatever JavaScript libraries the developer wishes to incorporate in their application.  There are examples of using external libraries scattered throughout the examples, e.g. in the Genealogy and mobile examples.

> Here are a few of the new/improved features of AppeX:
> 1.  automatic synchronization between internal JS code and external files so that, for instance, a developer can change their code in a chrome debugger and have those changes propagate to the JS refactoring browser in Smalltalk

How would this work? If you change something in the debugger you're
working on a read-only version of the served resource (from a HTTP
server).

> 4.  AppeX's build and deployment workflow has also been undergoing improvement; e.g. one can set on automatic JS code minification, and bundling together of JS files to serve as a single file during deployment.

Doesn't loading all the JS resources into the image make the image
grow, and so the publishing/versioning of the packages containing it?
I found that accidentally selecting the "content" selectors in some of
Seaside File Libraries would block the UI for a while until the whole
content was parsed.

Another remarkable point is that SiouX supports HTTP/2, which is
useful if you serve directly from the VW VM.

Is there a way to make the request/response multithreaded at the VM level?

Regards,

--
Esteban A. Maringolo