[Seaside] Job offer, Seaside project

Esteban Maringolo emaringolo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 12:29:40 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I have been working as a contractor on a Seaside project for about
four years, and we are starting looking for somebody to take over what
I have done and continue building it after the initial major release,
since we have lots of features in the backlog for the next minor
release.

The software is a science-oriented application that was converted from
a single-user desktop application into a multi-user, and AJAX-driven,
web application accessed from intranets, with a web UI built with
Seaside, using Bootstrap 3 for the styling and modern different
Javascript libraries, interfacing with an external engine for some
computations.
The Smalltalk dialect is VisualWorks, and although the web UI is
multilingual, the source code is written in English.

The special, and required, skills for the job are:
* Fluent knowledge of Seaside Web development
   - Since the UI is mostly driven by AJAX there is only little use of
   continuation-based interactions (so, no #call:/#answer)
* Understanding of HTML/CSS
    - We use Bootstrap 3 grid system (and Seaside objects/extensions)
    - We have a custom Bootstrap 3 theme built using LESS.js
* Understanding of Javascript
    - Some utility functions are directly written in external .js files
    - We use a graphical library and it is mostly driven by JS
* Understanding of jQuery (and its Seaside counterpart)
    - The interactivity of the UI is driven extensively by jQuery
using Seaside jQuery's objects, as in XHR AJAX requests, as in
replace(), load(), html() and other functions.

The other tools we use are:
* Git to manage the source code of all the static files
* VisualWorks Store for version management of Smalltalk code
* Glorp and SQLite for user/preferences management
* VS Code for the development/debugging of Javascript

Experience with VisualWorks will be appreciated although it is not
mandatory (any seasoned Smalltalker will find its way around the
tools). Being interested in science is an advantage.

I will be there to explain the rationale behind most areas of the
software, helping with the onboarding and handover of the development
tasks. I will not select any candidate, but will advise in the
selection process.

As for the working conditions the customer is in Europe, the position
is 100% remote, billed by the hour, with a flexible working schedule.

Please send me your CV, references and desired hourly rate and I will
forward it to my customer.

Best regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo
emaringolo at gmail.com