Gjallar brainstorm (was Re: [Setools] Gjallar (previously known as Q2) next steps!)

Stéphane Ducasse stephane.ducasse at univ-savoie.fr
Thu Aug 3 19:54:00 UTC 2006

> Not sure. I have not dived into Magritte (no time) and I also felt it
> tried to do too much for my taste. Of course, it is surely a good
> framework - I just got a bit weary when it tries to solve
> *everything*.

Magritte does not try to solve everything. You describe your domain
objects
with types, optionally validation rules and then the system can
interpret these description to build up forms,....
As you often do not have a one-one mapping, a description can be
parametrized with
a mapper and you can also scaffold objects (iv are store in a dict)
so that enduser can
build form (ie select iv for their objects) on the fly. This is it.

> My "framework" is probably simpler since it only deals with a
> Seaside UI
> for fields/forms, but the idea was to make it easier to adapt it
> specifically for Gjallar - like adding Scriptaculous features etc.
> Also
> I got tired of Mewas visitors and blocks all over the place - not bad
> design but a design which made it hard (for me) to work in it. That
> was
> one of the reasons for me to "rewrite" it.

Mewa was just a really dummy and simple way to support rapid
prototyping, no more
than that.

I have the impression that Gjallar **domain** would gain to be
magritefied, since this way
a lot of the rendering of the processes and other objects would be
done automatically.

Where do you specify what is in your task/process?

Stef