[SoC] [Application] Squeak Tools Restructuring

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 23:23:36 UTC 2007

Partly in response to Damien's post, I created a second
application to this project, in addition to my first one:
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5761

The new application focuses on creating a simpler tool in
addition to simplifying the tools. Instead of porting FileList,
ChangeList, and Monticello Merger to Omni, I will port
StarBrowser to Omni and use that as a basis for a unified
browser capable of browsing code in the image, in snapshots, and
in changesets.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 07:48:59AM +0100, Damien Cassou wrote:
> I have some questions:
>
> - are you sure that Omni is available under VisualWorks?

I was mistaken. Omni seems to be squeak-only for now.

> - did you have a look at OBFileBrowser and FileOmnibrowser both
> available on SqueakSource?

I did not. I could not find FileOmniBrowser on SqueakSource,
SqueakMap, or anywhere else. OBFileBrowser would make a great
place to start for an Omni-based FileList.

> - Monticello2 is being developed and should replace Monticello. Do you
> think investing your time and Google money on it is worse it?

I suspect that, since Monticello 2 is being written by the same
person who created Omni, Monticello 2 will use Omni. I think
giving a better interface to Monticello will translate to a
better interface for Monticello 2. I did not know this
while creating my new application, but Monticello 2 slices look
a lot like a specialization of StarBrowser's classifications
(slices are to code what classifications are to objects). If so,
then StarBrowser may be the most natural way to create a UI for
Monticello 2. I was unable to load Monticello 2, so I cannot
verify this.