[SoC] HTML Rendering Projects

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Fri Mar 30 20:19:16 UTC 2007

I'm getting the feeling from reading the comments on the proposals to
build HTML viewer widgets that the other mentors don't quite
understand the point of the project.  Since I proposed it, allow me
to explain.

I wrote a modern HTML/XHTML/CSS parser with associated DOM which can
be found at: http://www.squeaksource.com/htmlcssparser

It is used to implement http://badpage.net - a web page standards
checker.  It produces an decorated DOM that models HTML/XHTML.  The
decorations are the CSS rules - it can match CSS selectors to DOM nodes.

So the really hard work of handling 'wild' HTML and CSS is done.  All
the project seeks to do is build renderer using a Morphic widget
hierarchy that implements the CSS box model layout and visually
represents the DOM.

There are probably adequate Morphic widgets already available to do
most of this, I think a table widget might need to be implemented.
The student will need to implement builder to build/configure the
morphs.

Key skills are - builder pattern, GUI development experience (any
GUI, really).  Parsing is not necessary and we are not trying to
build a whole browser.

-Todd Blanchard