[SoC] Squeak Mentor Summit?

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Apr 2 17:20:08 UTC 2008

A quick report on today's meeting:

I think it went quite well, there was better attendance than I expected.
Attendees included: Ken Causey, Matthew Fulmer, Klaus Witzel, Stephane
Ducasse, Matthieu Suen, Esteban Lorenzo, Janko Mivsek, Brian Rice, and
Lukas Renggli.

If anyone wants I can provide a log of the entire discussion but to
quickly summarize:

We started out with open questions:

Klaus asked about students applying multiple times and about mentors
mentoring multiple projects.  We said that applying multiple times is
fine but in the end a student can only receive one slot.  We were unsure
about mentoring but assumed at the very least a mentor can be the
primary mentor on one project and a secondary mentor on another project.
If anyone can clarify this I would appreciate it.

Klaus also asked about policy regarding students who don't reply to
queries.  We decided that we would be as lenient as possible but
obviously once it came time to vote that this would be a significant
issue in voting.

Stephane pointed out that it's not unusual for a student to apply to
more than one project and that ideally we should find out where that is
the case as soon as possible and be prepared to deal with it.

Stephane also pointed out that ESUG will be sponsoring at least 4
students in its SummerTalk project and suggested that students who are
rejected should also apply there.

At that point we decided to go through the applications one-by-one and
open up discussion.  I won't go over the details but I think a lot was
accomplished with that and to my surprise we got through all of the
applications with time to spare.

I asked about the application entitled 'Coding' by Suprita Kocchar and
whether that one should be marked ineligible since there is no project
specified and it is a purely generic application.  Matthew checked and
this does not appear to be one of the application spammers.  We left
this issue open and any comments would be appreciated.

Klaus asked Brian Rice if he would consider co-mentoring a new compiler
project and Brian said he would be willing to consider it.

Two students came by: Cedrick Beler and Francois Stephany.  Cedrick
asked about scheduling issues and was a little concerned about whether
he would have the time to do his project.  I believe he is intending to
contact Giovanni for clarification.

Thanks everyone and remember that there is another meeting on Saturday,
April 5th from 15:00UTC to 17:00UTC.

Ken