[SoC] Squeak Mentor Summit?

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Sat Apr 5 17:52:00 UTC 2008

A report on today (Saturday's) mentor meeting:

Attendance was a little low but we did have two new participants: Adrian
Kuhn and Giovanni Corriga.  Thanks Adrian and Giovanni!  Also in
attendance were Klaus Witzel, Matthew Fulmer, Janko Mivsek, and Ken
Causey.

Giovanni explained the voting procedure, to summarize:

Once the student application deadline ends a drop-down should appear on
the application with -4, -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, +4 choices.  The specific
votes should not be visible to students.  Voting is split up into two
periods, the first will be from April 7th (8th maybe) until the 15th.
The second will start on the 15th and end on the 17th or 18th and is
meant to take into consideration students who have been accepted into
other projects, the number of slots Google has assigned us, etc.

Giovanni pointed out that any mentors interested in attend the Mentors
Summit hosted by Google in the fall should start saving for expenses.
Google will pay for a small number of mentors but not for all, and we
have to pay initially to be reimbursed by Google later.

Adrian Kuhn said he would be meeting with his student on Monday to
improve the SpyVM application.

Matthew Fulmer provided a link to his application from last year's GSOC
which was accepted but which he was ultimately forced to cancel.

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5759

Giovanni pointed out that we should include at least one student who is
a newcomer to Squeak, of course only if the application is also good.

We didn't bother to go over all of the applications again.

The next meeting is on Monday during the last two hours of the
application period 22:00 to 0:00 on Monday April 7th.  If you haven't
made it to either of the other meetings this is the last chance before
student applications have to be finished and voting starts.

I would appreciate any comments on scheduling future meetings.  I
scheduled 3 of them rather close together right now to try to accomodate
everyone before the deadline.  I suspect we should have at least a
meeting during the first voting period and almost certainly one during
the second.  Any thoughts you have on that would be appreciated.

Ken