Spoon progress 15 January 2006: new minimum, new system tracer

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Mon Jan 16 19:56:49 CET 2006

Hi Stef--

 > > I've also conceived a new design for the system tracer, one that
 > > implements it as a feature of the simulator (which didn't exist when
 > > the current tracer was written). With this tracer one will be able
 > > to write new snapshots without having to trace the object memory in
 > > which the tracer is running, and with certainty that every object in
 > > the result was required for an interpreter to function.
 >
 > Craig can you explain a bit more the idea.

	Sure; the idea is that the simulator is in a position to know precisely
which objects it has used during some period of time. I've instrumented
the simulator to keep track of those objects (OOPs), so that at any
point one may halt the simulator and inspect them. I can also take that
information into account when the simulator does garbage collection and
writes snapshots, QED. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta