Squeak and SMP

James McCartney james at clyde.as.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 23 18:13:32 UTC 1998

At 10:07 PM -0700 4/22/98, Les Tyrrell wrote:

>Given your e-mail address, you may already know this- but
>Paul Wilson at the University of Texas has papers on the
>web about garbage collection algorithms and such... I believe
>that his group has been looking at distributed garbage collection.
>They are also known for the Texas Persistent Store, for those
>interested in object-oriented database additions to Squeak.
>( that brings up a whole other issue... orthogonal persistence.
>Anyone making progress on that? ). Anyway, his web page is at:

Yes, in fact I'm using a variant of the Johnstone-Wilson algorithm in
my real time synth language. It is not however SMP capable without
doing non-real-time things like locking the GC. Not good when you
have interrupt driven deadlines.

Issues in distributed GC are rather different than for SMP.

   --- james mccartney     james at clyde.as.utexas.edu   james at lcsaudio.com
If you have a PowerMac check out SuperCollider, a real time synth program:
http://www.audiosynth.com