A Squeak Look and Feel

Patrick Logan patrickl at servio.gemstone.com
Fri Apr 10 20:39:00 UTC 1998

    Windows, well, I'm used to it but I can't say I really like the
    design. It's functional and definitely better than Squeak's oldish
    MVC look ;-) but not my reason number one. If you want me to use
    Squeak, implement Java's new look (including all that powerful new
    Swing widgets of course ;-)

Here is my attitude on "looks" and "feels". 10-15 years ago I used
Lisp Machines (TI and Symbolics, pre-Genera, if you're
interested). Those systems did not have much of a "look" but they had
a helluva "feel". If you want to talk "information at your finger
tips", they had information out the wazoo, and it was pretty easy to
get to all of it.

Today I use emacs (xemacs, if you're interested). It also does not
have much of a "look" but a feel that is pretty close to the Lisp
Machines.

I abhor using non-emacs applications whether they are X, Windows, Mac,
etc. The reason is that they are so "compartmentalized" into
widgets. There are menus, and lists, and buttons, etc. that are all
supposed to make applications so easy to use. Yet they are all so
limiting. They provide the information the programmer supposes I'll
want or need according to whatever widget is being placed in front of
me. Heaven forbid I should want to do something that programmer did
not imagine.

Smalltalk-80 is much more toward the Lisp end of the spectrum than the
"modern" end. However I believe there is still much to learn from the
Lisp Machines regarding flexible, dynamic access to information.

Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl at gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556
Gemstone Systems, Inc         http://www.gemstone.com