Squeak needs printing capabilities

Maloney johnm at wdi.disney.com
Wed Apr 8 23:24:37 UTC 1998

>> Seriously, I think we need to support printing from the VM (Yippee!
>> Platform independent printing).
>
>Would a connection between Squeak and Ghostscript be a step in the
>right direction?

Not to derail the printing to PostScript approach, which I think
is good, I just thought I'd mention that we did do an experimental
printing primitive that (a) was only implemented for Win32 and (b)
has not yet been included in a public release.

What the primitive did was extremely simple: it just printed a
Form as a pixmap to the default printer, with independent x and y
scaling parameters supplied as arguments. The idea is that one
could make a Form at the size and resolution of one printer page
and render onto it via normal BitBlt operations. This one primitive
thus supports minimal platform-independent printing since all
the rendering is done in Squeak.

Being able to write a Postscript file is also very useful, and
I think there is a place in Squeak for both approaches. Note that
Postscript printing doesn't require any virtual machine support.

Cheers!

	-- John