Hm?

sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar
Mon Apr 13 10:00:43 UTC 1998

Hi.

>You can often get out of this situation by executing...
>	MessageTally new close.
>This has the effect of terminating the timer process that is still waking
up and interfering with things.  Your idea of starting another MessageTally
and letting it complete was close, but it doesn't cancel the old timer first.

I had some trouble typing it in, the keyboard was not responsive.
Apparently, nothing changed after evaluation. Maybe it hadn't evaluated, so I
evaluated again. The screen was still getting garbaged, keyboard was insensitive and
so. I tried moving windows a bit, but still the same. I thought that maybe it
needed a reset, so I closed and reopened Squeak. I had the feeling that the
view controller was confused somehow, so I started moving windows. Now it was
better, no garbage. Still, some windows popped up their scrolling bars
simultaneously, with only one of them being active. A session of minimize/restore
fixed them (I think they figured out that they were no longer active, so they
stopped popping up their scroll bars --- only the active windows at the time
of the crash were popping up improper scrolling bars). Keyboard response is
much better now, and when Squeak starts, the display gets drawn in the usual
way (before: first the changes window over white background, then the others
with the background changed to grey). It looks as if the misbehaviour has
been fixed.

Thanks a lot!

By the way, what would have happened if something similar had hit a
"standard" programming environment? <G>... now that would be business enough to get
covered against such events by an insurance :))) !.

Now this made me remember that when you exit saving your changes in Visual
Smalltalk, instead of overwriting the old image it renames so it can be used
as a backup. Maybe it could be added as a safety mechanism... what about
having no more diskspace when saving the image? Ok, you have the changes, but
your objects are gone.

Andres.