April's fool

sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar sqrmax at cvtci.com.ar
Thu Apr 2 08:40:47 UTC 1998

Hi.

Maybe I'll be making a fool of myself over and over with this, but I would
like to tell you something. Maybe April's fool is funny because this kind of
messages appear and some people can't stop laughing at them. April's fool is
a local convention for joking, or something similar. That is, not everyone
catches it when they see it. Ok, maybe in a local group of people that's fine.
It's not funny when you simply don't know that April's fool exists. We all
speak english, but we are not all from the US, or Europe, or wherever April's
fool is known. Ok, maybe that's the funny part of it. Perhaps you will
consider what follows even funnier.

1. I was phoned and asked if I had downloaded my mail. No, I hadn't.
2. Blablabla. Microsoft did that? Incredible.
3. If I could translate it asap so we all can read it, because it's pretty
important and so? Yeah, sure.

So I got the saved message transferred directly to my machine and I started
translating. When the phone call came, I was supposed to cook dinner for
everyone here, which I didn't because of the asap. I was working on the #intSqrt
stuff, which I also delayed. 40 minutes of translating. More time
transferring it. Money in phone calls. Funny, isn't it? Yeah, lots of fun. What's even
funnier is what was done with that translation. Hours of our copious free
time working for April's fool management.

Nevertheless, I have some copious free time to waste now and then. I
trashed dinner and delayed my research, I have copious free time. But for instance,
one of the guys who called me has zero free time. When I think about him
wasting at least an hour which he doesn't have, getting excited, happy and so,
the censored stuff comes to my mind. He has to work full time to eat, and I
mean really full. Zero rest time, except when he sleeps. When I phone him he's
always either working, eating while he works, working somewhere else or
sleeping. Although he works that much, when you ask for the contents of his
pockets you end up asking yourself "that little?".

Maybe that's what's fun for some of you. What would you think of us if when
you visited our country we played all kind of our own circus stuff on you?
Circus stuff you are not even prepared to be suspicious of. Yeah, great fun,
isn't it?

By now, you all know what I think about this:

[
	self hands write: Censored atRandom.
	self finished
] whileFalse "doIt"

..
..
..

Now I have made an overkill fool of myself. That's fun, isn't it?

Your cultural environment is not the only one. Publish the rules before
playing. Paraphrase as you like.

Andres.