Squeak on a Chip

Dan Ingalls DanI at wdi.disney.com
Thu Apr 9 16:09:18 UTC 1998

>>And if you saw the demo of Squeak running on the "bare-chip" Mitsubishi
>>computer at OOPSLA, you know that we mean this!
>
>This sounds interesting -- for those of us that weren't there, can you
>describe it a bit?

Up on the Podium, we had a little board with about 6 chips and a PCMCIA ROM card on it.  It had wires coming from a battery and going to a little 1/2 VGA color LCD display.  The heart of the board was a Mitsubishi M32R/D chip which combines a RISC processor with 2MB of on-board RAM, all on one chip.

The Mits folks (a research group in MountianView) had interfaced the Squeak API to their BIOS and *bingo* in a couple of weeks they had a Squeak computer.

We booted the board and showed the screen by overhead camera, but we didn't actually have time to show much running.  The board runs everything you would expect -- factorial, warpBlt, and even real-time music synthesis.

	- Dan