bit shifting

glenn krasner at objectshare.com
Thu Apr 23 17:36:03 UTC 1998

I think it's even a bit stronger than "to allow implementations to provide
features...". On a number of occasions, we made things "undefined" to
*encourage* implementations so that, we hoped, this would lead us (and our
descendants) to extend the Standard by codifying then-existing practice.

So not only would it not be counter to the Standard for Squeak to take a
position on negative bit operations (apologies for the tripple negative),
but it might be in the best interest of long-term Smalltalk standardization
for Squeak to do so.

glenn