An Education Argument for Squeak

CYNTHIA NELSON cindynelson at abraxis.com
Tue Apr 28 16:05:48 UTC 1998

Hi Everyone,

I think this is significant. I took CS2390 in the Winter Quarter 1998.
I was one of the few people who used MVC in the first project which was
a design documentation project but no code to be written.

However, I missed part of the questions on MVC on the midterm. I think
I did not really have a adequate understanding of how MVC works in
Squeak even though I had used it on a few small programs in Java and C++.
I am not even sure I understood MVC that well.

My guess is the students this quarter probably had a much better
understanding of MVC by the time they took the midterm.

Cindy Nelson

At 04:27 PM 4/27/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Last week was the midterm exam, and again, I included a very similar
>problem to ones I've used before.  Here are the results for the last four
>offerings of this course (grades normalized to between 0 and 1.0).
>
>		Averages	Sttdev
>CS2390Sp98	0.864705882	0.26834552
>CS2390W98	0.539622642	0.34186272
>CS2390Sum97	0.536170213	0.39902234
>CS2390Sp97	0.441568627	0.36106493
>
>Is the Spring 98 Quarter (now) *REALLY* better than Winter 98?  I had the
>same grader and the same grading scale last quarter and this.  I did a
>one-tailed T-test on the two sets of grades datas.  p=4.4E-13 is much less
>than 0.05, so I think I'm safe claiming statistically significant
>difference.
>
>I plan to write a technical report on this soon, but I thought that y'all
>might be interested in some raw, early results.
>
>Mark

>Mark Guzdial : Georgia Tech : College of Computing : Atlanta, GA 30332-0280
>(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
>http://www.cc.gatech.edu/gvu/people/Faculty/Mark.Guzdial.html

Cynthia L. Nelson                                 Phone:  (770) 382-8627
202 Jimmie Nelson Rd SW                           Fax     (770) 382-8630
Kington, GA 30145                                 e-mail:
cindynelson at abraxis.com