Favorite Squeak Hints

jim benson jb at speed.net
Fri Apr 17 03:11:09 UTC 1998

Ted,

I wanted you to know how helpful these hints are, and that I value them
highly.  I do not work in a Smalltalk "community", therefore I do not
get the chance to see how other Smalltalkers wield their tools. With
this in mind, you realize how enlightening and helpful these messages
and books like Becks "Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns" are.

I consider this "documentation by example" the best documentation
available. There has been a lot of talk about the state of Squeak
documentation. I say it is more than adequate. To me, the "lacking" is
in the tools and available code area. Things like the Refactoring
Browser lint  tool would be enormously valuable to both beginner and
intermediate alike.

And I would pay good money to see a video of one of the "founders" work
with a 30-100 megabyte image, and explain some daily programming tasks.
Of course, an even better alternative would be a narrated walk through.
In other words, an expert gives a little talk while manipulating a
special Squeak image while recording both the audio and computer events.
The user then plays back the image. Nothing proprietary or special, just
a few minutes of things that the expert has found useful over the years.

Oh, and while I am wishing, how about some fun code for examples instead
of the usual parsers and yaccs and stuff. For years I have read in
OOPSLA about interesting projects that I never actually  got to see in
person. For example, I would love to see Vivarium running on Squeak.

Thank you very much,

Jim