Java and Smalltalk (was: an april joke)

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Sat Apr 4 15:55:26 UTC 1998

> About the people who are trading Smalltalk for Java - while I am
> not one of them, I can't entirely avoid Java in my projects. The
> DAVIC standard for settop boxes requires it, as does the upcoming
> MPEG-4 standard and any practical used of VRML. Can't we do
> anything about this? It will soon be too late.

The answer is probably: If you can't beat them, buy them! Smalltalk/X has
shown how this is working. Integrate Java in your Smalltalk environment
such that you can do both - using Java where it's necessary and Smalltalk
for the significant stuff. This is even more true for Squeak where (given
that somebody is interested in doing such a thing) you can immediately
spread this to any number of platforms. And the best of all: Due to
Squeaks licensing all the neat little things you do with the
Interpreter for this have to be publicly available ;-)

  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+