help!!

Vassili Bykov vassili at objectpeople.com
Wed Apr 15 17:16:58 UTC 1998

At 10:41 AM 4/15/98 -0300, David Farber <dfarber at numenor.com> wrote:
>>Vassili Bykov        vassili at objectpeople.com
>> "Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad hoc
>>  informally-specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half of Common Lisp."
>>     -- Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming
>
>Vassili, what the heck does this mean?

This means the message was sent from home, as opposed to a different quote
in the office setup. :-)  Seriously, this means--or I take it this means--
that complex systems implemented in low-level languages cannot avoid
reinventing and/or reimplementing (poorly on both counts) the facilities
built into higher-level languages.  Like "garbage collection" in OLE or
"keyword arguments" in X.

Cheers,

--Vassili

Vassili Bykov         vassili at objectpeople.com
The Object People     http://www.objectpeople.com
+1(613)225-8812
  "All languages are referentially transparent if you squint hard enough."
    -- William D. Clinger