The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Writing Squeak Primitives (DRAFT)

jim benson jb at speed.net
Wed Apr 15 21:11:39 UTC 1998

Stephen Travis Pope wrote:

I like the new "Primitives bible". A few comments:

> Note that all arguments are passed as ints; you can cast them into
> 'whatever' at will in the C code.

This should be explained further. Because the "Object>>cCoerce:to:"
message does not do anything ( the comments in the method tell us so
!!! ), it is not obvious at first glance how casting works for code
generation. It took me a few tries to learn to cast correctly.

Along these lines, C function local variable declaration should be
covered.

Thanks for your work,

Jim