Smalltalk <-> Objective-C

David Stes stes at mundivia.es
Tue Apr 28 20:15:10 UTC 1998

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Carl E Gundel wrote:

> How about the idea that instead of translating the Squeak VM from
> Smalltalk to C, that it would be translated to Objective-C?  Wouldn't it
> then be easier to write the VM in a a more natural style of Smalltalk?  Is
> Objective-C standard enough to make this a feasible idea?

Something like this was the idea of Producer, although, it's not really a
mapping from the VM, it is a mapping from classes to their equivalents in
OC.

This, then, depends on the classes in OC having to be almost in a one-to-one
correspondence with those of ST.

Over the years, a lot of divergence happened, so that's why Squeak is so
great, to me (I can't afford expensive ST's ...).  Now it is much easier
to have access to a ST and test how they do things.

I have converted the nroff Producer article to HTML, and have it at:
http://www.can.nl/~stes/producer.html.