Bug in scanChars?

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Fri Apr 10 01:26:54 UTC 1998

According to Holy Writ (ie Aug.81 Byte) the old scanWord prim would blt a character _before_ returning the CrossedX condition. The scanChars prim currently in Squeak (and, as it happens, similarly in ancient BrouHaHa sources) does _not_ b
lt that last char.
Since the source code for DisplayScaner>crossedX claims that the char will have been displayed but clipped as needed, I think this counts as a bug. I only noticed it because I was trying to speed up various text displaying stuff and reali
sed that setting the right edge value to the same as the clipping rect right ought to work. Unfortunately, that results in odd looking right edges to lists and so on.

I believe it would be A Good Thing to return the prim to its previous
definition that matches the image's expectations. All that needs
doing is to move the line
"scanDisplayingFlag ifTrue:[self copyBits]. "
up above the previous clause.

tim
--
Useful random insult:- An example of how the dinosaurs survived for
millions of years with walnut sized brains.