Squeak on a Chip

Maloney johnm at wdi.disney.com
Fri Apr 10 01:05:52 UTC 1998

At 6:23 PM -0500 4/9/98, Bob Hartwig wrote:
>Toward the end of '96, I evaluated the M32R/D chip to use in a Java-based
>embedded system.  I kept thinking about how much better Smalltalk would be
>for the project.  I wished that a Smalltalk environment existed for it so I
>could go to my client with a case for using Smalltalk.
>
>I think it's great that Squeak has made that reality, even if it's a little
>late for that particular project.  Has anyone done any serious work with
>the Mitsubishi Sqeak port?  Has it been kept up to date with the latest
>versions of Squeak?  Have any real products been implemented with it?
>
>	-Bob

I don't really know the answers to these questions. My guesses are:
  serious work: probably not
  up to date: no, but would be easy to do
  real products: no

It was a great proof-of-concept, but there aren't any serious
Smalltalkers at Mitsubishi as far as I can tell. I'm not sure
if they've released the source code yet, but I suspect if you were
serious about using their chip you could get it out of them.

Performance was acceptable, but not breathtaking; it should be getting
faster as they come out with the next generation of the chip, which
will have more on-board RAM, higher clock speed, wider bus, etc.

	-- John