Why Squeak ?

David Stes stes at mundivia.es
Wed Apr 22 20:04:03 UTC 1998

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Maloney wrote:

> >Also, if the Squeak VM technology is ahead of Java. What will stop the
> >Java people from 'copying' some of your ideas.
>
> Nothing at all, and I wish they would!

It is sometimes said that copying is the sincerest form of flattery !

I find Squeak very valuable as reference platform.  I'm always in favor of
extending Objective-C into the Smalltalk direction, and Squeak helps.

We have a different approach towards "practical performance", compared to
Squeak's "translator producing equivalent C code", but I think it's a good
thing that people from different backgrounds get behind a common platform,
like Squeak.