Squeak and SMP

James McCartney james at clyde.as.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 23 07:00:02 UTC 1998

At 10:02 AM -0700 4/22/98, Jim Ravan wrote:
>One of my interests in Squeak is to implement SMP support. The eventual
>target application is realtime generation of music. Can someone point a
>newbie at existing research in this area? The target hardware would
>probably be a two-processor Intel P2 box.

The hard part will be SMP AND real time GC. I know of no good SMP
and real time garbage collection algorithm. The only one that I've seen
is in a paper by Herlihy and Moss, but would be very inefficient  since
it requires making a copy of an object every time it is modified.
Thus would only seem to be useful for functional languages.

   --- james mccartney     james at clyde.as.utexas.edu   james at lcsaudio.com
If you have a PowerMac check out SuperCollider, a real time synth program:
http://www.audiosynth.com