Squeak needs printing capabilities

Mike Klein mike at twinsun.com
Wed Apr 8 22:43:31 UTC 1998

> Maybe there should be two efforts:
>
> (1) Sending text to a line printer.
>
> (2) Rendering postscript.

I'm not a VM hacker, but shouldn't we also have a third:

(3) Execute a Squeak VM on the printer.  After all, if the laser
printer can handle one VM (postscript), in these days of cheap memory,
how bad would a second VM be?

-- Mike Klein

P.S.  I know this is an extremely non-trivial thing, but I thought I
would throw it out there as the "Squeak" way.

P.P.S. Following up on the Thread-safe filesystem thread, shouldn't we also
       have a Squeak-based file system (layered on a BlockDevice interface)?
       Nah... Files are 50's technology... I'll wait for a Squeak Object DB.

       What I *really* want people to be aware of is how pervasive the
       influence of the platform that supports the Smalltalk VM is.
       Especially in the case of input & output.

       Back in the (not so) old days, the quitPrimitive had a comment akin to:

             "Exit from the VM to the host OS, if there is one"

       These days, the "if there is one" has been taken out.
       I suppose one of the Squeak Manifesto directives should be to
       put this comment back in.

       So, is the process of translating/porting host-OS services to
       Squeak/Smalltalk considered a pink or blue direction?
       Or some other color?