Squeak needs printing capabilities

Augustin Mrazik amr at aitecon.com
Fri Apr 10 09:37:05 UTC 1998

1. For Squeak, I would prefer high-level printing capability (e.g. HTML) to
low-level printing (at least until Squeak becomes the universal operating system
for all hardware platforms, and hence no OS support and drivers for "real"
printers are available :-)

2. Did anybody consider Rich Text Format already in this discussion ?

3. We are discussing and discussing ... Is there no comparison or real analysis of
printing formats available ? With feature lists, advantages / disadvantages,
comparisons ? We have done similar analysis for raster formats (with focus on GIS
applications) some time ago. I am sure similar analysis must be available for
printing. Otherwise, is there a volunteree who would be willing to make such a
short analysis ? Then we can vote and set preferences (priorities) to particular
solutions.

4. Even then, I am sure we will not find "a universal printing solution or
format". Every format satisfies certain requirements, and the requirements differ
depending on the application. This is another reason to have high-level printing
and to have the printing as pluggable extension of the standard image (as proposed
by Jim Benson)

Augustin