Squeak and SMP

Patrick Logan patrickl at servio.gemstone.com
Fri Apr 24 17:56:00 UTC 1998

	>> One of my interests in Squeak is to implement SMP support...

	How does GemStone Smalltalk do it?

    Gemstone Smalltalk is single (OS) threaded. Multiple CPUs help
    Gemstone by allowing each process (all the gems, the stone, the
    distributed collector, the cache monitors) to run truly in parallel.

    Gemstone Java uses native threads to implement the JVM. Most of the
    details are proprietary, unfortunately. I am not sure where the
    boundaries are.

Well, it's official now that Gemstone Java will use Sun's Hot Spot JVM
(derived from the Self work) in a future release, so you can read
about what that does for GC within a JVM and SMP. It uses some variant
of the "train" algorithm (from UMass?).

Patrick Logan                 mailto:patrickl at gemstone.com
Voice 503-533-3365            Fax   503-629-8556
Gemstone Systems, Inc         http://www.gemstone.com