Indented volume list

Reinier van Loon R.L.J.M.W.van.Loon at inter.nl.net
Mon Apr 6 18:20:10 UTC 1998

> i got caught by the #oldFileNamed: bug.  there was one additional step,
> let's call it 3a.  open an inspector on SourceFiles and make sure that
the
> rwmode for each of the StandardFileStreams (.changes and .image) is set
> to true.  then, evaluate step 4 and proceed.  if i didn't make that
change
> to the respective rwmodes, i continued to get the file error.
Correct. I forgot to mention it.

I personally think that the system should be robust in this, i.e. if it
can't save changes then it should continue without complaining. It
shouldn't be solved in StandardFileStream but in SystemDictionary. Maybe
the source files should explicitly be opened for writing (but what if they
were read-only because you put them on a CD-ROM? or whatever)). Anyway, my
first impression with a message like oldFileNamed: was NOT too open it for
writing. What do you think?

Regards, Reinier.