Microsoft Concludes Agreement To License Technology For Smalltalk

jecel at lsi.usp.br jecel at lsi.usp.br
Sat Apr 4 15:40:53 UTC 1998

Steve Dekorte wrote:

> >Microsoft And Disney Conclude Agreement To License Technology For Smalltalk
>
> So why we don't see real press releases like this?

Perhaps one reason is that Squeak is free and Microsoft could use it
without licensing it if they wanted to? I am sure that a great
negotiator like Bill Gates would not fail to note this.

I liked the joke a lot, even though it didn't turn out very funny for
Andres. A few years ago, a major magazine in Brazil (called "Veja")
published an article about how scientists combined genes from a
tomato and a cow. The reporter had been looking through back issues
of "New Scientist" and got excited when he came across this news.
He failed to note that it was the April issue and that the scientists
who were to cause a fast food revolution were doctors McDonald and
Wendy. So Veja spent the time and money to publish this, only to be
embarrassed when the letters from more attentive readers started
coming in. They are more careful now - live and learn...

About the people who are trading Smalltalk for Java - while I am
not one of them, I can't entirely avoid Java in my projects. The
DAVIC standard for settop boxes requires it, as does the upcoming
MPEG-4 standard and any practical used of VRML. Can't we do
anything about this? It will soon be too late.

-- Jecel