Squeak and computer reset

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Tue Apr 14 21:21:12 UTC 1998

Reinier,

> what is the status of the Squeak files when the PC is suddenly shut off or
> reset?

Depends on what Squeak is doing ;-) Given that it's currently in some sort
of idle state then nothing really bad should happen.

> SCANDISK reports a size error on the changes file and wants to fix it. I
> let it fix it a couple of times but...
> I haven't seen any disastrous things in Squeak though.

There shouldn't be any. Unless you're dealing with files no file system
problems should occur. The changes problem is probably due to Squeak
holding the changes file open - it's only closed on shutdown.

> Why do I reset? Well, there's this lovely 1-year old girl which learned to
> walk a few weeks ago and she just loves to hit the reset button. The light
> of the hard disk is just above the reset button. (only when daddy is not
> sitting at the computer of course).

My sister had a very elegant solution for this. Use the keyboard lock for
reset. It only requires to change two cables or so and prevents any
"accidental" resets by her (now eight years old) sun.

Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+