On the list itself

Tim Olson tim at jumpnet.com
Tue Aug 4 13:14:01 UTC 1998

Per writes:

>(if I do not recognize the sender or the subjet,
> that e-mail is _defined_ as junk, and it is
> deleted unread)

Most of the mailing lists I'm on work the way Squeak's does.  I filter
mail using a three-stage process: first check the "To:" field for the
mailing lists I'm on, and categorize it that way.  Then discard mail from
known junk-email locations sent directly To: me, and finally sort the
remaining mail based upon whether my address appears in the To: or Cc:
fields or not, discarding mail that doesn't (the bulk of the junk-email,
which uses Bcc).

This works very well for me, so I'd vote to keep the list fields as they
are, which allows the original sender to be identified.

[BTW, I think we've been quite lucky that the Squeak mailing list hasn't
been hit by any bulk spammers subscribing from throw-away accounts]

     -- tim