What determines what becomes part of the base system?

Travis Griggs tgriggs at keyww.com
Wed Aug 26 17:39:29 UTC 1998

Bob Arning wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 02:01:24 -0500 m3rabb at stono.com (Maurice Rabb) wrote:
> >I am curious what makes the Squeak choose something for inclusion in the
> >base Squeak System?
>
> Maurice,
>
> You raise some good questions. I think that, in part, we are victims of one of the things that makes Smalltalk so appealing to us - that we, individually, can add/modify/delete any part of the system we want. This makes it less imperative for some central authority to make changes deemed necessary/useful by some/all of the community.
>
> As to specifics, I find myself torn between wanting some of these things around (at least sometimes) and wanting to keep Squeak simple and accessible. I don't have a good idea on how to draw the line other than to err on the side of simplicity.

Isn't the Disney team ultimately in charge of what goes in the base image? I see them playing the benevolent dictator role that Linus Torvalds plays in the Linux world. The thing that is lacking is a site/address to submit changes for potential inclusion in the base image. In the Linux world, I can go to LinuxHQ or the kernel mailing
list, and submit a change for the kernel. And I will usually find out (either directly or indirectly) whether it's going to be included and why or why not.

--
Travis Griggs
Key Technology
tgriggs at keyww.com
Smalltalk - 100% Pure Objects, Always had 'em, Always will!