Polymorphism and language

Alan Kay alank at wdi.disney.com
Sun Aug 30 01:19:00 UTC 1998

Adam --

Thanks for the thanks. Actually, we need you and the rest of the list to
help think about the following situation and to make an analogy to computer
languages:  a child learning a natural language starts a progression that
can culminate in Shakespeare, Cervantes, Newton and Einstein. The biggest
change is in the ideas that the child can deal with, and in the larger
rhetorical structures in which they are expressed. From the standpoint of
the language itself, it is the vocabulary that most enlarges with the new
concepts, but the syntax only grows a little (and none of the old is
obsoleted).

We would like to achieve that with Squeak. Lots of this already works,
especially for young children (if you unearth the tiling scriptors and
viewers you will see what I mean). The next stage, however, is "scripting"
in the same niche as Hypertalk -- but which needs to be much better -- and
for this, Smalltalk-80 syntax is not as initially friendly as it could be
-- though it is closer to readable than it at first appears. We need some
ideas for a syntax and a style that bridges from childhood through
nonpro-enduser through expert use. Naturally, we have been thinking about
this for some time, but one of the many nice things about this list is the
diversity of intelligent viewpoints -- and these can be a real help when
tough design problems present themselves.

The idea is that anyone should be able to find a starting place with
Squeak, and the system should be self revealing enough so that it acts as a
kind of curriculum that can take interested users as far as they want to
go. Syntax and style are a small but important part of this goal.

BTW, any foreign syntax (e.g. APL or standard musical notation) can be
daunting, it generally takes a year or more to become really fluent, and
then the notation usually pays off big -- the trick (or question) is how to
make progress without despair in the meantime...

Cheers,

Alan

-------