Bug tracking

jim benson jb at speed.net
Tue Aug 4 18:29:08 UTC 1998

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> A long time ago, Scott Wallace came up with a simple, yet effective
> way to mark methods for further attention, using the leverage of
> Squeak's existing search mechanisms.
>
> If a method has a bug, add the line
>         self flag: #knownBug.  "Brief comment about the problem"

I have found this thread interesting. This , and similar methodologies,
seems to be the way that Smalltalk folks keep track of their  bug To Do
list. A simple and understandable solution. Yet,  in the Smalltalk books
that I have read, I have not seen any mention of this. Debugging, the
hardest and most expensive part of the programming cycle, is only spoken
about in private.

> Finally, within our group, depending on how closely-coupled we are
> working, we have used this mechanism to impute a request for
> attention, by patterns such as
>         self flag: #noteToJohn.  "Will this work OK with flexed
> coordinates?"

My favorite trick here is to make a typo, i.e. #notetoJohn. How do you
circumvent that type of problem?  Before releasing an image, do you
browse all senders of flag: ? I know, Tim Rowledge would say not to put
typos in my code :-P )

Thanks for the advice,

Jim