True dialog windows

Tim Olson tim at jumpnet.com
Mon Aug 24 15:41:10 UTC 1998

>Bob Arning said:
>> On Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:04:25 -0500 Tim Olson <tim at jumpnet.com> wrote:=20
>> real=20
>> >
>> >The FillInTheBlank class provides dialog support for text entry, and=20
>> >SelectionMenu>>confirm: can be used for yes/no dialog boxes.
>> >
>Personally, I hate it when the system pops up a dialog and I can't use my
>system to determine the answer to the question it's asking.  "so, what do
>you want to name that file?" (No! You can't use the system to look at what
>other files you have in that directory!).

I agree -- modal dialog boxes of that type are evil -- EVIL I tell 'ya!
;-)

Unfortunately FillInTheBlank and SelectionMenu are modal in just this way.
Much better are the type found in NeXTSTEP -- dialog boxes cause the
application to wait for a response, but the box itself can be moved, and
other applications and windows can be activated normally.  Much like the
standard User Interrupt window in Squeak.

     -- tim