What determines what becomes part of the base system?

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed Aug 26 15:53:30 UTC 1998

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 02:01:24 -0500 m3rabb at stono.com (Maurice Rabb) wrote:
>I am curious what makes the Squeak choose something for inclusion in the
>base Squeak System?

Maurice,

You raise some good questions. I think that, in part, we are victims of one of the things that makes Smalltalk so appealing to us - that we, individually, can add/modify/delete any part of the system we want. This makes it less imperative for some central authority to make changes deemed necessary/useful by some/all of the community.

As to specifics, I find myself torn between wanting some of these things around (at least sometimes) and wanting to keep Squeak simple and accessible. I don't have a good idea on how to draw the line other than to err on the side of simplicity.

Cheers,
Bob