Block temps was: Porting from other dialects

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Tue Aug 18 23:21:11 UTC 1998

> The issue is not nilling out the block temporary.
> The issue is having one slot per block-activation so
> that blocks may be value'd re-entrantly.

That depends on what you're trying to do ;-) My post was mainly addressed
to those folks who want to get their stuff from VisualWorks (or any other
Smalltalk) to Squeak and are just annoyed by the stupid task of rewriting
methods just because they have block temps.

On the other hand, your example is quite nice but (again talking about
porting stuff) how often do you have such cases?! And even then, they can
probably quite easily be fixed, as in your example:

[stuff deleted]
> 	[supposedlyReentrantBlock value: #(1 2 3) ] fork.
> 	[supposedlyReentrantBlock value: #(-1 -2 -3) ] fork.

Change these to lines to

	[supposedlyReentrantBlock copy fixTemps value: #(1 2 3)] fork.
 	[supposedlyReentrantBlock copy fixTemps value: #(-1 -2 -3) ] fork.

and then it also evaluates in Squeak to '1 -1 2 -2 3 -3 '

> Closures would be nice.

I agree. But currently we don't have any.

  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+