Name resolution

Marcel Weiher marcel at system.de
Sat Dec 19 13:49:51 UTC 1998

> to give more background on my environment: my Mac is connected to
a ISDN
> router(using ethernet). I use network address translation to access my
> provider, with internally non-routed addresses.
>
> The interesting thing is that I can reach the update server from
netscape,
> but, at the same time, cannot access them from within Squeak. The same
> happens
> when I use the Squeak browser: I can access sites using the IP
number, but not
> using their actual name. Interestingly it seems that if I have
accessed a
> site
> once through IP number I can then use the actual name. However,  I
have to do
> more tests to verify this.

Are you using a proxy for Netscape?  In that case, name-resolution
for host-names in Netscape is not done by Netscape itself but by the
proxy.  In my MacOS-X-Server setup, I have the blue box (MacOS
emulation running as a process within MOSXS) set up with an IP
address not known to the outside world, and without a connection to
DNS.  Both IE and NS can access hosts by host-name via proxy or
directly using IP addresses, but not directly using host-names.

Marcel