squeak program delivery, etc

Christopher Oliver oliver at fritz.traverse.net
Sat Dec 5 18:42:22 UTC 1998

On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 06:39:33AM -0800, Bill Felton wrote:
> Must disagree.  Have you asked yourself what is the root of
> money?

This is a red herring.  The fundamental issue is the problem of greed
and how it should be addressed in an ostensibly ethical society.

> How does the existence of money generate homelessness per se?

You're not thinking.  A grossly inequitable distribution of the wealth
which is finite where those with power have little or no concern for
the rest of (growing) humanity nearly assures poverty. Does it really
matter whether it's the crown or a high level executive?  Let them eat
cake doesn't cut it.

> (And yes, Gates is an evil sob.  What's your issue with Groves?)

That we have replaced our notions of ethics with those of economics,
and our notions of charity with those of acquisition...  piss poor
subsititutes in my opinion.  It deeply saddens me to see young minds
struggling to rationalize this.  Not everything that makes one feel
guilty and ashamed is in error.

As I think a defense of moral relativism has no place here, I'll leave
you with this in hopes of closing this.  What sort of world do you want
to live in tomorrow?  Don't you feel you ought to share it with others?

Peace!

Christopher Oliver, Traverse Internet, oliver at traverse.net
  We've secretly replaced their web server with Folgers Crystals.
  Let's see if they notice.