Smalltalk and CORBA

Stephen Pope stp at create.ucsb.edu
Wed Dec 9 19:29:18 UTC 1998

I'm glad that there are several others interested in CORBA ORBs for Squeak. The
basic prerequisites that are currently still open issues include:
	(1) Weak references and collections;
	(2) First-class exceptions (including unwinding); and
	(3) a ParserGenerator.

(1) has been recently added to Squeak by Andreas Raab. (Has anyone tested it
heavily?)

There are several solutions to (2), including a (partial) VisualWorks-compatible
version (by yours truly), a VisualSmalltalk-like version (by Tim Jones), and an
ANSI Smalltalk version (from R A Harmon). None of these is complete, nor do they
have the VM support for full block unwinding.

(3) Is a bit complicated. The public domain TGen package is rather tightly bound
to the VisualWorks Smalltalk compiler, which is diferent in many respects from
Squeak's. I believe that getting a port of TGen is the next important step to
getting a CORBA ORB ported.

Jeff Eastman (the author of both H-P DistributedSmalltalk and DNS
SmalltalkBroker [STB]) has expressed great interest in porting STB to Squeak,
but is waiting for the 3 facilities mentioned above to be made available first.

--
stp

	Stephen Travis Pope
	stp at create.ucsb.edu -- http://www.create.ucsb.edu/~stp/