PWS as a plain web-server

James O'Connor joconnor at roadrunner.com
Sat Dec 12 07:52:08 UTC 1998

John,

>Yes, PWS can act as a plain web-server.  Just set up a ServerAction
>(change ServerAction class>>#serverDirectory to be your root serving
>directory first) and that will take care of things for you.
>
>On the other hand, PWS is not HTTP compliant, as far as I can tell.  Well
>it's close, but you know.  I'm getting my hands on building a HTTP/1.1
>compliant and Apache compatible web-server, with as many modules,
>including the latest DAV module, with wiki-module as a plus.
>
>I don't expect it being publicly available in short.  I would also like to
>use some help if anybody is interested.

I've built a web server in VisualWorks that is similar to the PWS in
approach.  It's designed to ride in front of a Smalltalk application and
takes URLs in a ObjectName.methodName style.

It supports:
Multithreaded client connections
User Authorizations
POST forms
Parameterized URLs
Cookies
Mailing of server messages (Using SMTP)
Other stuff...

I could probably help out if you need some more hands.

>On 11 Dec 1998, Marc Nijdam wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm just exploring using PWS. Although I really like the wiki concept
>> and its implementation in Squeak, local users don't appreciate having
>> to edit pages through the web-browser using a different syntax. I'm
>> also trying to figure out some different uses for squeak as a
>> webserver.
>>
>> I'm having problems extracting the webserver _only_ part of the PWS. I
>> would like to start PWS on a root directory, have it serve documents
>> and directories just like a normal web-server. Then I'll start
>> plugging in server actions based on page or directory requests
>> (CGI-maximus ;-)
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Marc
>>

>Cheers,         * http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~zhan1
>John (Zhijiang) *          zhan1 at uiuc dot edu
>--
>(^_^) Jesus Loves You

Jay O'Connor
joconnor at roadrunner.com
http://www.roadrunner.com/~joconnor

"God Himself plays the bass strings first, when He tunes the soul"