what I'm working on (was "Smalltalk and CORBA")

Stephan B. Wessels stephan.wessels at sdrc.com
Thu Dec 10 22:10:22 UTC 1998

> Okay,

Just to show I'm not a lurker too, here's list of what I have been working on and also a more long range goal as well.  I love this
Squeak community and want to contribute my 2 cents to the tools that other Squeakers also have available.

I've written someting I call the SourceSetManager.  It's essentially an application/package manager with the ability to group
definitions of classes, protocols and loose methods into "source sets" something like change sets but more granular.  There's a
source set browser which looks like the typical package style browser with a few of my own personal extensions.  I'm using the
"blue" technique (or any color you define) that the old Team/V product used to show the changed definitions that you have not saved
yet to your source repository.  I've also made extensions to the browsers, the most obvious change was to add a Digitalk style
variables pane.  I guess my roots are showing.  I've also extended the debugger to add simple buttons to press to do the
step/send/etc stuff.  This stuff currently all works fine and I use it regularly to build development images from scratch images.

I have a longer range goal of making a better debugger.  I recently have been using the C/C++ debugger available on SGI platforms
and it makes me long for a better Smalltalk debugger.  So that's a goal I'm going to go after.

I can send "beta" to anyone interested.

  - Steve