Embedded Squeak 1.0 released for Squeak 2.2

Paul Fernhout pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com
Mon Dec 21 15:55:58 UTC 1998

Blake -

Great idea. Thanks for volunteering to write that. ;-)

But seriously, not out of the box in an easy way. Some of that could be
handled through events, if the VM or I/O processing routines were set up
to handle such events.

After all, one can think of Embedded Squeak as just a Smalltalk object
that processes messages (events)... My thinking for now is that such
events (messages) consist of Smalltalk code to be executed and return
text strings. However, there is no reasons that you could not submit a
piece of code that says in effect, "when this happens, send a string
down the serial port or network socket".

For example, off the top of my head, in one line fragements:

"Smalltalk at: #CallbackEvents put: Dictionary new."
"CallbackEvents at: #timerOne put: 'EmbeddedSystem report:
''timerOne'''."
"[Semaphore new waitTimeoutSeconds: 3. Compiler evaluate:
(CallbackEvents at: #timerOne)] fork."

Of course, this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it could be
pressed into service to do something like it (with appropriate code on
the other end of the link to interpret 'timerOne' or a more complex
message structure).

Of course, you're also asking about "recursive" callbacks, so that would
be a little trickier...

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the GPL Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com